My research interests are broadly in the area of security studies and international relations with a regional focus on Russia, Central Asia and the Middle East. My research can be broken down into four main parts:
- Security studies and understanding international security in the post-Cold War period.
- The domestic and foreign policy of the Russia Federation as it applies to its domestic Muslim communities and to Russian foreign policy towards Central Asia and the Middle East.
- The international politics of energy and minerals, with a particular focus on China’s international energy strategy
- The contribution of historical sociology to international relations theory.
Current research projects include:
- Energy Security and International Relations
- Resentment and International Relations
- Russia and the Middle East
Past research projects include:
- China, Oil and Global Politics
- Policy towards Natural Resources (Polinares)
- Russia and Islam